This is one of my favourite rice dishes to make at Christmas time. Every element of this dish works together to create flavours that are bold and that work in tandem with each other to create the perfect balance. And yes, while I know it’s not quite yet Christmas, I had a hard day and really wanted something warm and joyous to lift my spirits a little. I made this with a chicken roulade and some cherry brown gravy for dinner and it really felt like a mini Christmas feast. 🙂
- 1/4 teaspoon orange/lemon zest
- 1/2 cup cranberry raisins, chopped
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 3 cups cooked basmati rice
- 2 cups diced mixed vegetables of your choice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vetsin powder (optional)
- salt to taste
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- In a bowl add the chopped cranberry raisins and orange juice and allow the to soak for about 10 minutes.
- In a pot melt the butter over medium heat.
- Add in the garlic and orange zest.
- Cook for one minute then add veggies and vetsin powder and cook for another minute.
- Add the cranberries and any unabsorbed liquid from the orange juice into the pot.
- Add the rice and mix everything together.
- Remove from the heat and serve as a side dish to any meal.