As the name implies, these muffins are savoury and they definitely are yummy! I ate 2 of ’em right out of the oven. I really love this flavour combo, but if you wish you can certainly modify the recipe to include items you love.Recipe
- 1 large potato – peeled, boiled and mashed
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1.5 tablespoons ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper finely chopped – if you can stand the heat
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 strips of bacon
- 1/4 cup chopped chives
- 1/4 cup finely diced onions
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese (If you do not have fresh parmesan I recommend you skip this and use an addition 1/4 cup cheddar instead)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook your bacon strips until crispy and cut into bits.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, potato, baking powder, mustard powder, salt, bacon bits, chives, onions and pepper.
- Add the milk, eggs, butter and olive oil.
- Add your cheese and mix well.
- Try not to eat the batter.
- Spray your muffin tins with cooking spray. This recipe makes about 12 muffins on average.
- Scoop batter evenly into muffin tins, about 3/4 of the way up, and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until muffins are a golden brown. To test you can insert a toothpick or a fork into the centre and if it comes out clean, they’re ready.
- Remove from oven and serve!